Monday, March 11, 2013

design site guild project: hops guild

Here is what I have so far for a guild out back...the one I do will most likely be much simpler but i wanted practice researching guilds.  There are no major plants on site already that I wanted to build a guild around, but we love to home brew beer so we already ordered some hops rhizomes (Cascades & Newport varieties), which we want to attempt to make an archway with as hops tends to vine and trellis quickly.  There are both perennials and annuals included in this plan, and strawberries can be grown for 4 to 5 consecutive years before I would want to switch that crop.  The nitrogen fixers are next to the hops because hops requires a good deal of nitrogen.  This plan seems to have a good deal of sage and spinach incorporated, but I love sage and spinach.  It also seems like a good deal of borage, but it does work to make strawberries more robust.  I would love any suggestions as several of these plants I have not tried growing together.


1 comment:

  1. perennial N fixing shrub might be better next to vining hops

    ReplyDelete